Sunday, June 8, 2014

Red hot denim- thanks to the Coco Fires!

I am still trying to decide if I want a skirt or shorts made from the yard of red fabric I bought several weeks ago. I found this lucious red denim during the week we had fires in my neighborhood. If your were following the news it was called the Coco Fires! Coco like Coco Chanel- a foreshadow ing of my future(hehe)! Why stress out about something you have no control over? So, my husband and I hi-tailed it up to Santa Barbara in my little blue convertable BMW125i, and I found this little fabric store on State Street called Fine Fabrics. 

You know you are in an expensive shop when they don't display prices! My first selection of fabric was 179.00 dollars per yard. No. Not happening. Not yet anyway. Then, I nonshalantly mosied over to the yard ends basket feeling a little defeated over the $179.00 fabric find. In that little basket, I found some Italian shirting and this red denim with hints of gray fibers running through it. It was silky smooth to the touch. Bingo! A shirt and a skirt! Yes! 

After four days at the stress free Fess Parker Hotel across the street from the beach, the fire department finally lifted the mandatory evacuation for my neighborhood. My husband and I got back into my car and hi-tailed back home. I do mean hi-tailed, too! My husband drives like Mario! 

The Coco fires proved to be inspirational in many ways. First, be thankful for what you have and the people around you. I have great neighbors. We supported one another throughout the duration of the fires sharing our thoughts about what we had no control over on Facebook. We were all in the same boat. Secondly, out of a potentailly stressful situation it is possible to find a way to relax. For me it was fabric shopping; while shopping, I am always imagining and hoping. That day I was hoping that I would be able to go home eventually to my sewing machine that my husband calls the "Cadillac" and make something amazing with this fabric I found. 

Now sitting at the "Cadillac," I am preparing to cut into this gorgeous red denim. I think I have decided to do a skirt. I love shorts, but I am in the mood for a skirt. Less seaming and I'll have a better chance of getting it done in the next few weeks. I'll save the fancy sewing for the Italian gray shirting! 

Out of a stressful event, something peacful emerged! As I think back, I didn't intentionally set out to make something red like the fires buring in a dark sky, or gray like the ash that fell and left a blanket of it all over the place. The Coco Fire inspired a week of creativity and hope. Now, time to make it work!

No comments: